Monday, August 20, 2012

So bad for you, but oh so yummy! Bean & Cheese Empanadas:



I made these for the kids for lunch & just thought I would share my super easy "cheaters" recipe with you, since it's also super inexpensive -lol!  It's a "cheaters" recipe because I use flour tortilla mix unstead of making the dough from scratch & I use canned refried beans -because I'm lazy like that!


Easy "Cheaters" Empanadas:

Ingredients:

2 C. Flour Tortilla Mix
1/2 C. warm water
1 can refried beans
2 C. shredded cheddar or colby cheese
2 C. Canola oil for frying

Mix Tortilla Mix & water with your hands in a mixing bowl until dough is pliable and water is absorbed.  Cover dough and let sit for 10 minutes to "rest". 
Roll out desired amount of dough to form a circle (I used a ball of dough a little larger than a golf ball) with a rolling pin.  In the middle of the circle of dough drop 1 heaping Tablespoonful of refried beans and 1 heaping Tablespoonful of shredded cheese.  Fold the dough circle in half and use a fork to score the edge together. 
Fry 30-45 seconds on each side in hot oil, drain on papertowel lined plate.
Makes 8-10 empanadas, depending on size.

You can also substitute apple or cherry pie filling for the bean & cheese to make fried pies.  Drizzle with powdered sugar & milk icing for a sweet taste. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Can I use vegetable oil? are they the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, you can use any type of oil/grease you would like for frying. Canola oil is just a little bit heart healthier -just a little, lol!

    ReplyDelete