Friday, August 17, 2012

Introducing the new Walgreens Rewards Card:



Ok, I have had a lot of questions on this new rewards card that Walgreens is supposed to be implementing soon, so I wanted to let you know all of the information that I know about it (which is limited).  I have researched the information available and this is what I know:

1.  Walgreens WILL BE introducing a new rewards program called Walgreens Balance Rewards, it will start September 2, 2012.  It will be a loyalty rewards card program that you will have to sign up to receive.  You can elect to use a loyalty card, or go cardless, but you must use the phone number you signed up with at the checkout to get the rewards. 

2.  You will NOT be able to use any in-store or in-ad Walgreens coupons or get in-store sale prices without having the rewards card.  You will still be able to use manufacturers coupons without signing up for the card. 

3.  There will still be RR's, but only nationally offered Catalina deals, no more RR's offered by Walgreens Corporate.  This will cut down on the number of RR deals significantly!!  :(

4.  You will earn rewards points ("Balance Points") by purchasing select products that will be advertised in the ad and at the shelf.  You will then be able to redeem those points for rewards in the form of $ off discounts or "prizes" in your points range.  It will take 5000 Balance Points to redeem for a $5 discount!!!!  I have no idea what kind of "prizes" would be available for points, but I can only assume that it will be something menial and useless! 

5.  You will also receive "personalized offers".  I'm not sure what form those will come in, if it will be some sort of Catalina that will print when you shop there, or if they will be mailed to you, or if these will only be available if you have the mobile app.  Apparently, these "personalized offers" will give you Bonus Points when you purchase them. 

6.  You can’t use Balance or Bonus Points for Alcohol, Gift Cards, Prescription Co-pays, Stamps, prepaid cards, dairy or tobacco.

7.  You will NOT be able to use your Balance Points to purchase other products that give you Balance Points, or you will NOT receive any new Balance Points!


This is all of the (creditable) information that I have at this time, we will just have to wait and see what else comes out as the start up date for this program gets closer.  I'm trying to reserve judgement of this program until after I can at least see what the points will be for purchasing items, but as of right now, I'm VERY dissapointed in it!!!  I know that the test market for this rewards program was a complete failure, so I'm really not sure why they are going ahead with it nation wide!  I will continue to update you with all of the latest information I can find concerning this new program.  If you have any additional information that I haven't included or if you have any questions, just leave a comment to let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment